I have to give all props to my big sister for this recipe. As a kid, she made this for us and I distinctly remember how delicious it was. She supplied me with her recipe. I tweaked it just a little. What’s nice is that you can easily make this ahead of time, as two of the main ingredients should be cooled. It’s also a great meal to make if you already have some leftovers. Enjoy!
1. Sauté scallions, sweet bell peppers, small serrano pepper seasoned with Sason Goya, Goya Adobo (any other all-purpose seasoning would work, like Lawry’s), cumin, oregano, salt & pepper. Set aside to cool.
2. In a separate pot, make brown rice. Set aside to cool.
3. Then, take your zucchini and cut it down the middle length-wise.
4. Scoop out all the insides and leave the skin, with about an inch or so of rind.
5. Take your cooled rice and cooled meat and combine with a small amount of tomato sauce. Add cilantro and any more salt & pepper, to taste. Remember that as the zucchini cooks, it will let off moisture, so don’t use too much tomato sauce or it will make everything soggy. Add just a little sauce to give it flavor/color.
6. Take the zucchini boats and add the rice/meat mixture until overflowing.
7. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees, until the cheese is melted.